While some embassies make it mandatory to submit a visa covering letter, not all will require you to submit one. However, whether or not they have ask for it, I always attach a covering letter along with my visa documents submission. This, in my opinion, sorts any confusions whatsoever!
Why do you need a cover letter?
It is very important to understand why a covering letter is submitted along with the rest of the visa supporting documents. Before you write your cover letter, keep the below pointers in mind –
- The embassy/consulate would always like to know about you in short.
- The embassy/consulate would want to know your travel intentions; location, duration and purpose!
- The covering letter is an additional validation of the application form that is filled.
- The covering letter acts as an assurance to the claims made in the application form and supporting documents.
- This letter helps you connect with the visa granting official in a more personalized way.
A straightforward and honest visa covering letter will add to your chances of a speedy visa approval
What should you include in your Visa Covering Letter?
There are different formats you will see. Different people have different approaches to writing a covering letter for a visa. A study visa covering letter will be different compared to a business visa or a tourist visa. However, if I am applying a straight forward tourist visa, I generally keep the format in the following manner –
- A subject line stating the kind of visa I am applying
- Next, I introduce myself and write a few lines mentioning my travel intentions, the dates and the places I plan to see. I also explain why I need the specific visa type I have mentioned. This is also the time when I mention anything specific that I want them to know.
- In the next paragraph, I include names and relationship of people who plan to travel with me. Although, it is optional, I mention everyone’s (including mine) passport number just for a quick validation.
- Following that, I list down everything that I have attached as documents supporting our visa application.
- Finally, I sign-off mentioning my address and phone numbers which can help them reach me if need be.
A Sample Visa Cover Letter
Here is a rough sample of a Visa Covering letter. You can consider using this format whether it is schengen or other visa. You can add or delete based on your requirements.