How to Work and study in Canada for International students

An international student may be able to work within the boundaries of the campus where he or she is registered in if the student meets specific criteria. After reading this article you should learn about how to work and study in Canada for international students.

For an international student to work on-campus without a work permit, he or she must:

  • hold a valid Study Permit;
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • be registered as a full-time post-secondary student at a:
  • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
  • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
  • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law

On-campus work includes working for an employer located on the campus grounds of the educational institution where a student is studying.

RECOMMENDED: Apply for Canada Study Scholarships 2020

An on-campus employer includes the school, a faculty member, a student organization, a private business (located within the boundaries of the campus), a private contractor that provides services to the school, and being self-employed on-campus.

Working in Canada as a Co-op student or intern

International students pursuing a study program at a DLI in Canada that requires a mandatory work placement or internship must apply for a co-op or intern work permit in addition to a valid study permit.

Once the international student graduates, a Post-Graduation Work Permit may be obtained.

In some cases, spouses or common-law partners of international students studying full-time may be eligible for an open work permit. Visit our dedicated page for information on the advantages of an open work permit.