A brief explanation on how to apply for a Student Visa (Study Permit) in the United Kingdom in 2021
It’s the dream of every foreign student to study in a country that’s more advanced and developed than their home country, but not all possess a visa to do that.
But many do graduate from foreign countries, the United Kingdom in particular without actually needing to obtain a visa. All they need do is process and obtain a study permit, commonly known as a student visa.
A student visa is a document that legalizes and permit foreign students to study in a particular county without actually needing to apply for a real visa.
You should however note that the student visa is only valid for the period of your study. After your study in the UK is completed, you will be allowed to stay for a month or two, after which you must pack your belongings and go back to your home country.
Below are the steps involved in obtaining a student visa in the United Kingdom, as of 2021:
1. Secure an admission in a British University and get your admission letter
The first step here is you getting admission and being able to prove it by tending your admission letter
2. Learn about the type of visa you need to study in the United Kingdom
There are two types of student visa in Great Britain. They are:
1. Short-Term Study Visa.
2. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.
A short term student visa is for students whose education will be completed within 6 to 11 months.
The Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is a student visa that has no specific expiry. It is valid for as long as the student is still studying in the UK.
Requirements for the Tier 4 Student Visa
1. You must be 16 years or older.
2. You must be able to communicate in English.
3. You must provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to cater for your studies and accommodation.
4. You must provide a letter of admission from the UK University where you want to study.
3. Get ready all the documents you need for a student visa in the United Kingdom. Documents including:
1. An already filled visa application form.
2. Two passport photographs.
3. A travel document.
4. Evidence showing you are financially capable to support your education, accommodation and other essential things.
5. Parental consent for students less than 18 years of age.
6. Proof that you paid the visa application fee (348 GPB).
7. A tuberculosis test (for some countries).
8. Some other requirements that you will be notified of.
4. Language requirements for a student visa in the United Kingdom
Except if you are from an English-speaking country whose qualification is some how equivalent to a UK degree, you will need to undergo a secure English language test (SELT). For students who want to study in degree levels and higher, they must meet the CEFR level B2 of English language proficiency.